Chapter 3 - Educational Policies
Part 1. Purpose. This procedure establishes processes and conditions that implement Policy 3.24, in accordance with Minnesota Statutes § 136F.05 Missions.
Part 2: Review and Approval of Change in Institution Type. A request for a change in institution type and an analysis shall be submitted to the vice chancellor for academic and student affairs. The college or university analysis shall describe:
- the alignment of the proposed mission, vision, and purposes with the mission and vision of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system;
- the market demand for the award authority leading to the change in institution type;
- the comprehensive planning process undertaken to address the need;
- the partnership opportunities and options and related risks that were explored as an alternative to the change in institution type;
- the current and future capacity to support the proposed change in award authority; and
- the consultation with stakeholders including faculty, students, and employers.
Part 3: Approval of College or University Mission Statement. A college or university shall submit its mission, vision, and purposes to the vice chancellor for academic and student affairs. The chancellor may approve minor revisions to a college or university mission statement. For revisions requiring board approval, the college or university analysis shall describe:
- the alignment of the proposed mission with the system mission and statewide needs;
- the extent to which the college or university will meet expectations of law and how it relates to other institutions of higher education;
- the array of awards it offers;
- the compliance of the college or university mission with statute, policy, and regional accreditation requirements; and
- the consultation with faculty, students, employers and other essential stakeholders.
The vice chancellor for academic and student affairs shall provide an analysis of the college or university submission.
Part 4. Review and Approval of System Mission and Vision. Upon request of the Board of Trustees, the vice chancellor for academic and student affairs shall prepare a plan to review and, as appropriate, revise the system mission and vision. The Board of Trustees shall approve the plan. After review with faculty, students, employers and other essential stakeholders, the chancellor shall submit the proposed mission and vision to the Board of Trustees for their approval.
- Policy 3.24 System and College and University Missions
Date of Adoption: 06/16/99,
Date of Implementation: 06/16/99,
Date & Subject of Revisions:
July 23, 2013 - Amended the name of the Procedure. Renumbered parts 2 and 4. Amended Part 3 removing the requirement for system institution to submit a review of its mission and vision at least once every regional accreditation cycle. Other changes include refinements to better delineate the requirements of a change in institution type (mission) and to align the requirements for mission approval with the Higher Learning Commission criteria for accreditation. Deleted Part 5.
June 14, 2010 - Amended the name of the Procedure. Deleted Part 1, Definitions, Added Part 1, Purpose. Amended Part 3 expanding language regarding the review and approval process. Added new Part 4, Review and Approval of College and University Mission Change.
Click here for additional 3.24.1 HISTORY.