Medical Laboratory Technology
- College/University: Minnesota State Community and Technical College
- Award: Associate of Science
- Credits: 60
- Delivery: Face-to-face where some online courses may be available or required.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Certified
About this Program
In the Medical Lab Technology program, students learn the techniques and theories necessary to work in a clinical laboratory. These techniques emphasize skills in phlebotomy, body fluid analysis, hematology, chemistry, microbiology, immunology, and immunohematology. Students learn to correlate test results with patients' conditions. In addition, students earn credits in general education, including anatomy and physiology, communications, chemistry, and the humanities. Program courses are offered in a hybrid format (lectures and lab instruction arranged). After successful completion of didactic courses, the student enters a clinical experience at an affiliate health care laboratory performing laboratory testing under supervision. Graduates of the MLT program are eligible to take the examination given by the Board of Certification exam of the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Graduates may articulate to a four-year institution to receive a bachelor of science degree in medical laboratory science. The MLT program is accredited by National Accrediting Agency for Clinical laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Fergus Falls 56537