Health Information Technology
- College/University: Minnesota West Community and Technical College
- Award: Associate of Applied Science
- Credits: 60
- Delivery: Offered entirely online with face-to-face options available for some/all sections.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Certified
About this Program
Minnesota West offers two program options related to Health Information Management careers: including a Diploma in Medical Coding Specialist, and an Associate in Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology. Health Information Technicians analyze, secure, and maintain patient health information. Health Information Technicians compile, process, and maintain medical records of hospital and clinic patients in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements of the health care industry. Other duties may include processing, maintaining, compiling and reporting patient information for health requirements and standards using the medical coding system. Medical Coding Specialists work closely with other health care professionals in coding diagnosis and procedures on patient medical records, analyzing medical records for completeness of documentation, working with insurance companies, and reimbursement procedures.
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Canby 56220
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Granite Falls 56241
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Jackson 56143
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Pipestone 56164
- Minnesota West Community and Technical College, Worthington 56187