Food Science Technology
- College/University: Riverland Community College
- Award: Associate of Science
- Credits: 60
- Delivery: Face-to-face where some online courses may be available or required.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Certified
About this Program
Food science technologists ensure that food is safe, nutritious and enjoyable. This program uses biology, chemistry, and other sciences to study principles underlying the processing and deterioration of foods. Students analyze food content to determine levels of vitamins, fat, sugar, and protein and study new food sources. Methods to make processed foods safe, palatable and healthful are researched. Students examine food processing, packaging, preserving, storing and distribution. The Food Science Technology major prepares students for future employment in the food industry such as production, quality assurance and management; sanitation; research and development; and laboratory analysis. The AS Degree transfers to universities offering majors in food science. A 15-credit Food Science certificate is also offered within this degree plan.
- Riverland Community College, Albert Lea 56007
- Riverland Community College, Austin 55912