Emergency Plans and Procedures
Trapped in Elevator
Procedure/Action to Take
- Open the telephone panel. Push the button and wait for the phone to auto-dial.
- State that you are stuck in an elevator.
- Give the elevator number which is noted on the door of the telephone panel.
- Indicate floor location, if you can determine it.
- Remain calm and wait for help to arrive.
- To prevent injury to yourself and others:
- DO NOT try to pry open the doors. This could prolong the emergency by damaging the equipment.
- DO NOT try to climb out or jump to the floors below if the elevator stops between floors with the doors open.
- Building personnel will be in communication with you by phone and from outside the elevator.