Home > System Information > Emergency Plans and Procedures
Harassing/Threatening Phone Calls
Procedure/Action to Take
- Treat all personal threats seriously - never consider a threat a prank!
- Keep the caller talking and listen carefully to get as much information as possible.
- Write down what the caller says.
- Be alert for distinguishing background sounds (music, traffic, bells, etc.).
- Note any voice characteristics (gender, age, stutters, accent, drunk, slang).
- Ask for caller's name.
- Without alarming the caller, try to alert a co-worker about the call so they can alert your supervisor and building security.
- When the caller hangs up, press *57 to trace the call. Then call building security 651-298-9882.
- Employees receiving a personal threat on voice mail should save the message, and alert their supervisor.
- Employees receiving a personal threat via written or graphic material should save all materials, including envelopes or containers. Alert supervisor.
- The target individual should report the threat to the police.
- Employees receiving a threat directed at another individual must notify their supervisor.
Telephone Checklist for Bomb Threat